Friday, August 11, 2006

Dr. Bob Johnson - Democrat NY-23

I met Dr. Bob Johnson yesterday afternoon at the Saranac Lake block party. Dr. Johnson is running against Republican John McHugh for the NY-23 Congressional seat. Yes, Dr. Johnson is a Democrat running in a primarily Republican district. So why should residents of the Saranac Lake area vote for this man?

One reason is that he is a medical doctor. Might he not be more sympathetic towards a couple of our major employers who depend upon Federal funds for their existence? Namely Adirondack Medical Center and Trudeau Institute.

You can see the special interests that John McHugh is beholden to here.

Dr. Johnson seemed to be a sincere man who, unlike McHugh, is in favor of resolving the Iraq War and unlike McHugh has served in the military. Dr. Johnson, who unlike McHugh, is in favor of weening our country away from dependency on Middle East oil. Dr. Johnson, unlike McHugh, is in favor of Universal Health Care.

But what impressed me the most is that Dr. Johnson doesn't believe that the Representative of NY-23 should just be a rubber stamp, seat warmer. Unlike McHugh, who has been described as a loner on "the Hill", Dr. Johnson believes that the people of the North Country should have a voice in Congress.

I am not in his District (I'm represented by the other Republican idiot) but I highly encourage people to vote for this man if you want true representation in Washington, DC.

1 comment:

Sara said...

He sounds impressive and worked in Oxford & London, so how bad can he be? If only I lived in district 23, now that I'm registered at my dad's house, I too fall into your category of being "represented by the other Republican idiot"