Washington Monthly has a speech, written by Theodore C. Sorenson (JFK special counsel and advisor), for the next Democrat Party nominee for President of the USA. Sorenson would have the next Democratic nominee pledge the following:
- Set a timetable for a systematic redeployment and withdrawal of all our troops in Iraq
- Implement a comprehensive regional economic and diplomatic stabilization plan for the entire Middle East
- Immediately transfer all inmates out of the prison in Guantanamo Bay and close it down
- "pledge in person to the United Nations, in the September 2009 General Assembly, that the United States is returning to its role as a leader in international law..."
- "...sign the Kyoto Protocol, and seek its ratification by the United States Senate..."
- "...favor communications, negotiations, and full relations with every country on earth, including Cuba, North Korea, Palestine, and Iran."
- "...restore the constitutional right of habeas corpus, abolish the unconstitutional tapping of private phones, and once again show the world the traditional American values that distinguish us from those who attacked us on 9/11."
It's a good strong speech. Read it.