Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ice Palace - IV



The Ice Palace is going up! Unfortunately, I missed the cutting of the first blocks of ice, but I will get it later. Ice blocks are cut with an ancient gasoline powered saw. A channel is cut and the ice blocks are 'herded' using long poles down this channel where they are loaded onto the scoop of a tractor.



Here a block has just been taken off the tractor, using large ice tongs, and placed into position.



The front of the Ice Palace will have a round tower on either end. You can see large areas of "ice mortar" filling in the gaps of the tower levels.



Here is a crew using ice slush mortar to seal the huge blocks of ice into place. Notice the men are wearing life preservers. They were out on the lake where a large hole had been cut to obtain the ice blocks. Life preservers are a great idea when working in a dangerous area like that.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Thanks for the photos makes me miss it a little less. I'm hoping I can make it up in person before I jump the pond, fingers crossed!!