Thursday, September 13, 2007

Gary From Bloomingdale, WNBZ and Kathy Griffin

Our moral majority friend, "Gary from Bloomingdale", is once again up in arms on this mornings WNBZ "talk of the town" call-in program. It's along his usual line about how "the left is ruining this country". This is a direct insult to me because I am a member of the "evil commie left" and I would argue, at least in my case, that I am not trying to ruin our country.

The issue this morning is comedian Kathy Griffin's speech at the Emmy Award Broadcast. Here is what she said:

"A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award," Griffin said in her speech. "I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy for best reality show and add: "This award is my god now!"
Now I can certainly understand how this would offend a devout Christian, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of "devout Christians" that I have met over the years (although I've met an innumerable number of good people).

"Gary from Bloomingdale" goes on to point out how "the left" was outraged when a newspaper in Denmark published a cartoon of Muhammed (PBUH, see I'm being respectful). Michelle Malkin, however, couldn't wait to link to as many websites as possible that were publishing the cartoons. I sympathized with the muslims because it is against the ten commandments to make graven images (a commandment by the way that most Christians do not follow). But to me our Constitution and free speech trumps religion.

So "Gary from Bloomingdale" is outraged. This type of speech is destroying our country. "Gary from Bloomingdale" forgets something important. Free speech is guaranteed under the first amendment to the Constitution of the United States. You see the framers were a bit worried that guys like "Gary from Bloomingdale" might try to destroy our country by prohibiting free speech.

Oddly enough, Kathy Griffin's irregligious comments are going to be censored when her speech is aired in a few days.

I'm not sure what the uproar is all about. "South Park" and "Family Guy" (two of my favorite tv shows) have treated both Jesus and Muhammed (PBUH), and just about everyone else, far more irreverently than Kathy Griffin did at her emmy acceptance speech. I guess "Gary from Bloomingdale" doesn't watch those tv shows, which is not surprising since they too are obvious indicators that our country is going to hell in a handbasket.

I guess the more serious question here is this: Did Jesus have anything to do with Kathy Griffin winning an emmy award? Well, as an atheist I have to say that I doubt it, but you can decide for yourself.

The laugh line from "Gary from Bloomingdale" this morning is this: "Listen to Fox News if you want to know what is going on in this country" (seven US polls have shown that people who listen to Fox News get things wrong). In any case, I hardily disagree with "Gary from Bloomingdale". If you want to know what is going on in this country you need to listen to John Stewart's Daily Show and the Colbert Report.

No comments: