Monday, July 14, 2008

New Yorker Satire

The blogosphere is alive with talk about the cover of the latest New Yorker Magazine (seen above). The New Yorker claims it is only satire - making fun of the way conservatives view Barack Obama and his wife. My question is....how exactly is it satire? If the cartoon were in a balloon coming out of McCain's mouth I could see the satire. I can't wait to see the cover satirizing John McCain and his wife. We won't see that though because it is un-American to criticize John McCain.

John McCain has criticized the New Yorker cover. Probably because he is fearful of how the New Yorker might "satirize" him and his wife.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I wrote about it in my blog I think Obama should run with it to show just how crazy the media and right-wing nutjobs can be.

Swift said...

First off, this was just stupid. I can't understand the point of it at all and would never have approved it if I were the editor.

McCain did criticize it.

But more importantly, why is it even viable? Is it because we know so little about Senator Obama? Because almost every association he has is with someone that most Americans would not be comfortable around? That he has his wife campaigning with him, but we're not allowed to criticize what she says?

Again, the cover is complete wrong and I wish it never had released.

BTW, it's not un-American to get on McCain. It's un-American to criticize his military service. Knock yourself out going after his policies. I have a lot of problems with them myself.