In his column, Jacoby goes on to provide several instances of 'Bush Hatred'.
His detractors have accused him of being financially entwined with Osama bin Laden. Of presiding over an American gulag. Of being a latter-day Mussolini. Howard Dean has proffered the ``interesting theory" that the Saudis tipped off Bush in advance about 9/11. One US senator (Ted Kennedy) has called the war in Iraq a ``fraud" that Bush ``cooked up in Texas" for political gain; another ( Vermont independent James Jeffords) has charged him with planning a war in Iran as a strategy to put his brother in the White House. Cindy Sheehan has called him a ``lying bastard," a ``filth spewer," an ``evil maniac," a ``fuehrer," and a ``terrorist" guilty of ``blatant genocide" -- and been rewarded for her invective with oceans of media attention.
Has Bush presided over an American gulag? Well, if a gulag is a place where political prisoners are kept, maybe he has. We will never know whether some of the prisoners are political or not because they are not allowed access to the courts.
Is Bush a latter day Mussolini? Mussolini was a fascist, fascists have various characteristics. This website claims Bush has the characteristics of a fascist and provides examples.
I don't know if Bush was ever personally emeshed in OBL financial dealings but there certainly are unanswered questions about family connections with the bin Ladens.
There certainly are valid reasons why many Democrats and most progressives dislike G.W. Bush:
1. We question whether he was validly elected in 2000.
2. Given that he was, we question why he governs like he was elected by a vast majority.
3. He is a divider, not a uniter. He squandered worldwide goodwill towards the USA after 9/11. Worse, he continues to use 9/11 for political purposes.
4. He is not being held accountable and is incapable of admiting that he may have EVER made a mistake.
5. He is incompetent (Iraq War, Katrina).
6. He lies (we can go into the Plame affair here)
7. He believes he needs to take away protected rights to guarantee our safety.
8. The economy. Federal spending. Federal borrowing. Falling incomes, increased poverty.
9. Keeping us an oil dependent state.
10. His disbelief of science.
So yes Mr. Jacoby, maybe there are actual reasons people in the USA are increasingly becoming disillusioned with your hero G.W. Bush.