Friday, December 29, 2006

Saddam Hangs Tomorrow

I don't see the point of this - although is anyone really surprised with the outcome of the trial. What's the rush to hang him? I'll go on record as opposed to executing Saddam. It won't change a thing in Iraq and may actually make things worse.

"The Americans want him to be hanged respectfully," al-Nueimi said. If Saddam is humiliated publicly or his corpse ill-treated "that could cause an uprising and the Americans would be blamed," he said. (Excite News)
Why is al-Nueimi even talking about what Americans want? Wasn't Saddam tried in an Iraqi court? How does one get executed respectfully? And, whatever happens to Saddam, Americans are going to be blamed. Isn't there enough killing in Iraq and the Middle East?

Meanwhile, US TV networks are planning "tasteful" coverage of the execution. Do you think Fox News will air the execution?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Respectful execution? Talk about an oxymoron.

Ugh. I'm admittedly a pacifist but I just don't understand the reasoning for executions of any kind. That whole "killing people to teach other people that killing people is wrong" hypocracy that just makes zero sense to me.

And to air an execution on national television? Ick. Just ick. I would NOT want to see that. If the Iraqis are videoing it, no doubt it'll be available on YouTube at some point for those folks who are interested, but it just does NOT belong on television.

Really good post.

(Btw, I'm a friend of Sara's and found you through her blogroll!)

Sara said...

DITTO to what Zee just said, couldn't have said it better.

I remember when I was growing up that the radio played an execution a prisoner from TX on the air & I've never forgotten it . . . very scary being just 8 & hearing all that screaming!!