Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Giving Up Executive Power



I don't understand British government. In fact, British friends I've asked to explain their government don't seem to understand it either. But it's quite different from the USA government. First, they don't have a constitution. They operate based on precedent of their long history. I didn't realize the British Prime Minister had the power to declare war independent of Parliament or the power to make treaties without decision by Parliament.

Now the new British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has proposed to surrender or give up executive powers in 12 areas. He also proposes that a "Bill of Rights" should be established. Here is a link to PM Brown's speech.

Contrast PM Brown's positions on executive power with that of "King George" and I don't mean George III. "Separate but equal" has not been operating so well lately in the USA. Not with a man like George W. Bush in charge. Bush really does believe he is above the law and believes he need not be held accountable by Congress for anything he does. If he doesn't like a law passed by Congress, he decides which parts of the law he will enforce or not. Everything in his administration is held secrete so that Congress cannot provide adequate oversight. At this point, however, he is so disliked and such a lame duck that it doesn't really matter what he does anymore (in his mind).

2 comments:

Don and Sher said...

He is the worse president ever. I will admit I voted for him the first time and thought he did well with 9/11 and supported his invasion of Afghanistan but I never agreed with Iraq and from then on it has been all downhill. King George has accomplished nothing.

Sara said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused by the Brit's gov't, none of my mates can explain it to me either they just talk in circles till I give up asking questions!