Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Science Tuesday - The Fisher

An article about the Fisher in this mornings NYT Science section caught my eye. The Fisher is a weasel-like animal that normally lives in the deep woods. It rarely eats fish and was probably called a Fisher due to the French name for the animal - fichet. I think I saw a Fisher run across the road in our development a couple years ago. At first I thought I was seeing a black panther because it had a very long tail and from a distance appeared fairly large. I'm now convinced it was a Fisher. The length of the tail can make this animal look quite large, although they range in size from 4-15 lbs and 29-47 inches in length.

Todays NYT article is about the Fisher invading the suburbs. This is not good news as these animals are described as pretty aggressive.
It has the aggressive, carnivorous temperament of a wolverine and can climb trees like a marten. Like weasels, a fisher will kill multiple animals at a time in a confined space.
Their populations are expanding for better or worse. At least the porcupines need to be worried now and maybe your German Shepherd.

No comments: