Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Heligmosomoides polygyrus

Thanks to sitemeter I can now see that alot of people arrive at this blog because they google "Heligmosomoides polygyrus". They probably want the cool picture that I posted, so I've posted it again. This is a picture of a male and female worm. The female is the larger worm and you can see the eggs inside her at the tail end. The male worm has the distinctive bursae at the tail end. This picture was taken for me by Dr. Jay R. Georgi DVM when I was working at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Georgi had this wonderful microscope that he loved more than anything. He was given money to purchase the microscope when a downed powerline killed one of his best sources of a parasite. I can't remember if the animal was a sheep or a pony. Here it is again and if you use it please remember Dr. Georgi, one of the best veterinary parasitologists ever.

NOTE: I should point out that this nematode was once named Nematospiroides dubius.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I must admit I really like that photo (does that make me a geek??) It's just so clear!