Friday, November 09, 2007

Patriotic Police Chain-Email



It came late but it finally came. The chain-email about unpatriotic Obama sent to me by a relative (from Florida of course). First, the email is not only cowardly because it's anonymous but it's also a complete lie.
"He refused to not only put his hand on his heart during the pledge of allegiance, but refused to say the pledge...how in the hell can a man like this expect to be our next Commander-in-Chief? "
They were not saying the pledge but rather listening to the National Anthem. Now it may be correct protocol to place ones hand over ones heart during the playing of the National Anthem, but I've been to a ton of sports events and rarely ever see anyone do that. It's bad enough that you have to listen to that strained tune. Now "God Save the Queen"....there's an anthem.

Second of all...I don't care if you don't place your hand over your heart during the anthem or the pledge. I don't care if you wear a flag pin on your lapel. And I really don't care if you end your stupid speech with "God bless America". Enough with symbolism. So what do I care about?

I care that you swear to uphold the Constitution of the United States and then actually uphold it. I care that you have well thought out and reasoned policy positions on health, education, economics, social security, immigration, foreign policy etc. I care that you use our military with caution and only when necessary to defend the USA. I care that you appoint serious, intelligent, experienced people to offices in the government and then listen to what they have to say. I care that you are willing to listen to the best scientific minds even if what they have to say doesn't fit with your agenda. I care that you care whether people in other countries around the world respect the USA.

No comments: