Friday, January 25, 2008

Hillary Wants MI and FL Delegates

The Democratic National Committee "punished" Michigan and Florida, for holding Democratic primaries before Feb. 5th, by taking away their delegates to the Democratic Convention. All the Democratic Presidential candidates agreed with this decision. Guess who wants those MI and FL delegates seated now.

From the Hillary for President website we have a press release:
"I hear all the time from people in Florida and Michigan that they want their voices heard in selecting the Democratic nominee.

"I believe our nominee will need the enthusiastic support of Democrats in these states to win the general election, and so I will ask my Democratic convention delegates to support seating the delegations from Florida and Michigan. I know not all of my delegates will do so and I fully respect that decision. But I hope to be President of all 50 states and U.S. territories, and that we have all 50 states represented and counted at the Democratic convention.

"I hope my fellow potential nominees will join me in this.

"I will of course be following the no-campaigning pledge that I signed, and expect others will as well."
Would she be so willing to see these delegates seated at the convention if she had not won Michigan? She was supposed to have removed her name from the ballot in MI just like the other Democratic candidates did. It appears Hillary is going to win the FL primary. I guess that is one reason to support seating the FL delegates.

Well, at least we know that if she is elected President she is going to play hardball politics.

3 comments:

Brian said...

I hadn't noticed at the time, but I guess I know now which Dem won Florida and Michigan.

Combine that with her machinations in Nevada...

Then again, I always knew she was a Democrat, not a democrat.

Brian said...

Then again, people like her have done a great job lawyering Ralph Nader off the ballot in past years, so I knew the Democrats were never democrats.

sgifford said...

It's not fair to blame Clinton for this primary mess. The fact is the Democratic party made the decision not to seat Michigan and Florida's delegates, and the candidates all agreed not to campaign in these states. Neither the DNC nor the "pledge" required candidates to remove their names from ballots; the other candidates removed their names from Michigan's ballot for strategic reasons.

This mess that leaves two swing states coming out of the Democratic primary feeling disenfranchised is a failure of the entire party, not just one candidate.